Saturday, April 3, 2010

Kara's First Hike

We started our day very very early in the morning. Baby Kara must be very excited about her first hike because she woke mama and papa Wong up at 4am in the morning. Baby Kara had time to feed and take a bath before heading out of the house close to 6am. Their first hike was at Joshua Tree National Park, which was approximately 2.5 to 3 hrs long. Mama Lyanne and baby Kara got a good nap during the car ride.

We arrived at the park close to 830am and met up with Uncle Vythia, Auntie Pushan, cousin Zoe, Uncle Mike, Auntie Jennifer (Herrera), Uncle Ton, Auntie Jane and cousin Elle. Just when we were ready to start our hike, mama Lyanne realized that she was very unprepared. Mama Lyanne didn't bring any sunscreen, carrier backpack or a sun hat for baby Kara. Thankfully, Auntie Jane was extra prepared! She had everything mama Lyanne forgot to bring. The cloth wrap and sun hat (shown in the picture below) was from Auntie Jane, and of course sunscreen was applied to baby Kara. At first, we tried the cloth wrap on papa Matt, but it wasn't comfy enough for baby Kara so we switched to mama Lyanne. Mama Lyanne was able to keep baby Kara comfortable. Within a few minutes into the walk, baby Kara fell asleep from the soothing rock of mama Lyanne's walk.

On the first hike, it was the mommies with the babies. Even though it was still early in the morning, around 9am, mama Lyanne made sure that baby Kara was fully shaded from the sun. She even found a way to tuck baby Kara's legs in the cloth wrap. By the 2nd hike, it was the daddy's turn to carry the babies. It took papa Matt a while to get used to the wrap and keep baby Kara comfortable at the same time. Once he got the hang of it, papa Matt was happy that he can also bond with baby Kara just as mama Lyanne did on the first hike.

By afternoon, baby Kara resorted back to her car seat and stroller because the walking path was smooth enough for wheels. Plus, it would be too hot to carry her on the cloth wrap.
Mama and papa Wong didn't focus too much attention on taking pictures of wild flowers, but below are a few taken by Uncle Mike. We ended our hike around 230pm to head back to Alhambra for papa Matt's Sacristan duty and to visit Yee-Po.

No comments:

Post a Comment